- 1. 2 cups (abt 150grams/5.5oz) thick Poha (flattened rice)
- 2. 1 large Onion, finely chopped
- 3. 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 4. 1/2 tsp Asafoetida powder
- 5. 1/4 cup Peanuts (optional)
- 6. 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 7. 1-2 Green chilies, or as per taste, thinly sliced
- 8. 1/2 tbsp powdered Jaggery, see Tips
- 9. Few sprigs of Curry leaves and Cilantro
- 10. Salt to taste
- 11. Lemon juice to taste
Wash the rice flakes in cold water very well.
Let it drain for 10 minutes.
While that's draining, heat 1-2 tsp oil/ghee/butter. I used coconut oil to impart a coconut flavor instead of using regular coconut in the recipe. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the seeds splutter, add the peanuts and stir until roasted. You can alternatively roast/toast the peanuts separately and add them towards the end too.
Add the onions and green chilies next along with salt.
Once soft, add the curry leaves and turmeric powder.
Add the jaggery or sugar and mix until combined.
Add the drained Poha next.
Stir to combine.
Close with the lid and reduce the heat to low. Keep this for about 3-4 minutes. I do this for the flavors to mingle.